In spite of so many advances, the fact remains that society has certain expectations, mostly traditional in
nature from all women, working or otherwise, especially in the area of looking after their kids and also the upkeep of the home. So
how does a full time working woman cope?
Tips for a young working woman
- Have a discussion with your husband about the sharing of household chores. While there will be areas which are purely a woman`s domain,
there are some chores which your husband can take over in order to lessen the burden.
- Believe in working as a team and keep your priorities straight - remember, your young kids come first whether it is their general
well-being or their studies.
- See that you draw up a weekly time table to aid you in time management. Take into account everything you have to do that week including
the kids` extra curricular activities, and see that you involve your husband in all these activities.
- Nothing like getting domestic help to tide over demands of busy schedules. Whether it is for looking after your kids in your absence or
getting help with the daily chores and cooking, it will do you good if you can get help. But do keep your weekends free for your family and
kids and just spend quality time with them.
- When you are working for a company, see that all your efforts are directed towards concentrating on your work. Keep aside your domestic
needs for later and do not use work time to solve your domestic problems.
- If you are a career woman, you must be prepared to spend long hours in the office when needed. See that you balance your time well and
keep your husband informed about possible late working hours so that alternative arrangements can be made for the kids. You can also offer to
take home some work for finishing on your home computer if it is essential.
- When you have to deal with many male colleagues in your office, keep your husband updated on your interactions with them. Keep him
informed about your whereabouts if you have to go out with your colleagues on official work. After all, what is a mobile and SMS for? Maybe he
can pick you up when you are done!
- In the course of your work, you may have to attend some official functions. Again, see that your husband is aware of this demand on your
time. If he can also be invited to attend the function, he can get to know your colleagues too!
- As a working woman, one thing you have to remember is about constantly upgrading your skills. If you have to join classes, get your
husband to cooperate so that any arrangements regarding kids or household work can be dealt with in advance.
These are but a few tips that will help you, as a working woman, to solve certain multitasking problems you may have to face both at work and
home. So go ahead! Keep your husband and family in the loop about your activities, enroll their help and proceed to break that already cracking
glass ceiling. After all, haven`t Indra Nooyi and others like her shown us that anything is possible?