It is so very easy to let slip your fitness schedule, especially when your to-do list seems
endlessly long and you are forever being criticized for your untidy home and for your kids who seem to be dirty and unkempt most of
the time. It seems that the last thing on your mind is exercise. Ideally, this should not be allowed to happen.
There are so many benefits from fitting in your exercise into your weekly routine that one should put it on the priority
list of to-dos straightaway. Like exercising for at least half an hour every day will make you de-stress and sleep better as well as put you
in a totally relaxed frame of mind. It serves to take your mind off from work pressures whether you are a work at home person or a
businesswoman and concentrate on yourself even if it is just for that half hour. It reduces the risk of your contracting some diseases and
wards off mental depression. You are also building up your strength - something that will keep you healthy and prevent debilitating diseases
like osteoporosis. And who can deny the fact that it will help you remain fresh and youthful, retain a slim body - two things that will build
up your self esteem and help you work long hours if necessary because you have the stamina for it! Is there anything more you can ask for?
Start on your fitness schedule - NOW!
Okay! So you`ve read all this and still feel that you cannot afford to take time off for looking after your health! Would
it help if I told you that it is all a question of having the right attitude and approach? There are many ways to get started - and after that
it is only a matter of time before you get hooked on.
- The most important thing is to try and schedule a certain time for your fitness activities. Maybe thinking of your home-bound job as a
9-5 office job might help to put things in the right perspective. Wouldn`t you get out of an office if it is closing time? Imagine your
home office in the same light and tell yourself it is `time to go home` though `home` might be just the next room. You got to set
boundaries right from the beginning.
- If there is a staircase in the house, simply take a few breaks to climb up and down the stairs. You will find that your mind is
- If you have a job that requires long hours in front of a computer, you go to remember that the right posture is of the utmost
importance. You must also stretch at regular intervals and take your eyes off from the screen. Use an ergonomic chair to avoid getting a
- You don`t have to exercise continuously if you can`t find the time for it. You can break up your exercise time to a manageable 10
minutes each time.
- Busy working mothers have opted for cooking meals and freezing them for the week. Maybe you could adopt this method for at least
one meal. This way, you will have more time on hand even while you are eating home-made healthy food. You have to compromise somewhere,
- The best part of working from home is that you can easily slip into your exercise clothes without having to carry them around or even
running out to a gym at lunch break. So eat a quick lunch and get going! Unless you have scheduled some important meeting with a client,
you don` even have to bother about looking tidy after your workout!
- Technology has advanced so much that you can exercise even while you are on the phone - you simply have to get the hands free
attachment that will allow you to do simple exercises like squats or lunges.
- Remember to stack your workplace with healthy snacks that you can indulge in without feeling guilty. Sometimes, it does help to chew
on something while you are working on solving some problem. Don`t forget to keep sipping small quantities of water throughout the day. It
helps to keep you hydrated and prevents dry skin.
- Invest in an exercise ball and keep sitting on it now and then. It will help strengthen your trunk. (Have you read our fitness expert
Ildiko`s article on using the fitness ball?)
- Finally, never underestimate the importance of stretching at regular intervals during work. Just take time off to get off that
chair to stand up and s-t-r-e-t-c-h.
Does this help you to understand how really simple it is to take time off from your busy schedule to look after your health? And by doing
this you will be a role model for your whole family - makes you feel real good huh?