To be a woman in a man`s world is tough. But in every field Indian women have shown their talent and shown they can be tough too. From
being a home maker to a pilot, the
sky is the limit for Indian women. The role of Indian women in the technical arena also contributes a lot towards IT development.
Women in India take an active part in the rapidly expanding Information Technology workforce. Their active participation in this sector
helps to change the existing social structure and gender related issues that still exist in Indian society. In the male dominated corporate
corridors of India, women have still been able to make their mark.
Till five years ago, people used to say, "If you are trying to balance a career and a family in the IT industry, it`s a little difficult
to do that because it is such a demanding industry." But now we can say that women are juggling their professional and personal lives
perfectly. Ten years ago, it was difficult to find a large percent of women in the IT world; it was even more difficult to find them in a
position of authority. But smart work, dedication and the ability to adapt has changed all this.
Some of these women go to work when the whole world is asleep and sleep when the whole world is wide awake and yet they manage their
Recent figures show that women workers in the IT sectors in India have risen by almost 18 percent in the last two years. What`s more,
the number of women technicians is likely to rise to 50 percent by 2020.More interesting is the fact that in the Indian software, the male to
female ratio is 76:24.However, by the end of 2007, this ratio is likely to be 65:35. The trend is likely to continue and in fact gain
Women in the IT field also reach the top of the ladder. Because women leaders are more persuasive, more willing to take risk, and give
their hundred percent to get the thing done, they become great leaders.
Some of the reasons why there are fewer girls entering the IT industry are:
- The number of girls interested in IT courses or IT as a career is comparatively less.
- IT is not made interesting in schools.
- To get into any college related to IT, it takes a huge amount of money. The middle class is not willing to spend so much money on
- Lack of information and understanding of what a career in IT means and poor knowledge of the industry are other reasons why students
do not take up IT.
- The IT field is perceived as a male dominated field and hence girls are reluctant to come into this field.
- Only one third of women students major in science.
- Many women seem to struggle more than men with science and technology in higher education. In 1995, of those freshmen planning to
major in science or engineering, 26 percent of women thought they would need remedial work in mathematics, compared to 16 percent of men.
- Security issues and working in night shifts also remain as a great barrier for women.
If in spite of all these factors, if women are able to succeed, it is because of absolute determination. I am proud to be a part of the