It is the dream of many young boys and girls today to get a foothold in the exciting and glamorous world of fashion designing and go
on to a successful career as a designer. Not to discount the potential to earn huge sums of money once your career graph hits a high.
Fashion designers use their special creative skills to imagine and create clothes with a difference and herein lies their talent that
will set them apart from the other also-rans.
So what does the aspirant have to look out for if she wants a career in fashion?
- Hone your skills on the manufacturing of the clothes
- Be thorough in your basic knowledge of sewing, about various textiles, suitable materials, and on what is the latest fabric used for
- Be an expert on drawing and sketching out your ideas and designs – make the layout attractive and unique
- Have a thorough understanding of colours. See that your choice of colours suits your design and makes it stand out as something unique
- Choose your area of interest and talent. You don’t have to restrict yourself to just clothes – you can take up designing
accessories like bags, footwear, purses etc. Specialise in what you are good at.
- Attend a good fashion design school and learn your basics thoroughly. Try and intern with a good designer – this way you can
learn far more than you can at an institute. It is this experience which will mould you into a complete designer as you will learn
different aspects of designing.
- Get in touch with leading fashion houses, brand names fashion stores and garment manufacturers where you will have plenty of options
to showcase your talents.
- You can also work on your own and create designs that can be sold to these companies or showcased in fashion shows if you are able to
So be artistic, innovative and absolutely exquisite in your designs. Be one up on the latest trends in fashion – it is these
qualities that will help you taste success in your chosen career as a fashion designer.