Aha! Not so easy dear friend! You really have to work hard on different aspects of your personality before you can achieve
even a modicum of success in this elusive exercise! Should you succeed in doing so, believe me, doors that were hitherto firmly closed will
automatically open up in all your personal, business or career endeavours. You will go exactly where you want to go, and that is no mean
So how does one go about this exercise?
- Study people around you. Each one is vastly different from the other. But you do feel drawn towards people who seem similar to you in
interests, goals, feelings and experiences.
- Begin by treating people the way they want to be treated. Focus on their needs and likes and they feel drawn towards you. If a
person is detail-oriented, go into details that he might like to hear. Similarly, if it is an action-oriented person, straightaway plunge
into how you can take action, and show results to a result-oriented person. What you have to keep in mind is that people love to deal with
a person whose thought process is similar to theirs.
- Adopt what is called the mirror technique. This is a technique that immediately puts the other person at
ease. By making yourself seem similar in every way through body language, the way you talk and the way you dress, you establish an instant
rapport. For example, if the person talks in a slow, weighted way, do likewise; dress formally or informally as he is, etc.
- Next, be a good listener. Good listeners are hard to come by and are always appreciated. Show that you have been listening attentively
by summarising the conversation perfectly, asking intelligent questions and by taking notes.
- Convey the impression that you appreciate his ideas and viewpoint even if you don`t agree with it. Be delightfully vague and say `What
a wonderful idea!` even if you think it is a stupid idea. Get out of uncomfortable situations by saying `You may have a point there` and
watch his body language - this will simply bring down his defences. It will put the person at ease and make him listen to you when you
come up with your suggestions.
- Have you ever realised how important it is to remember names? You could almost say that one`s name is the most favourite word of any
person. One feels automatically drawn towards a person who has bothered to remember your name and it has been said that this is a very
important trait of all high achievers. The more you use a person`s name in your conversation with him, the more he opens up and listens to
- Remember the power of the spoken word. Be free with your compliments. Praise people, compliment them sincerely on what they have
achieved and you will have them eating out of your hand. Needless to say, this is an important trait associated with all the high
achievers of the world and is a reason for their success.
Follow these simple techniques and be on your way to phenomenal success in your personal and professional life. Make your
journey of life smooth and successful and become a true achiever in every sense of the word.