ATM has made our life easier and they have become a way of our life. The instant cash withdrawal and other convenient features have helped us a lot as one need not to visit banks every time for something or the other. As they brought a real convenience to those on the run but at times ATMs can put your life on risk. Undoubtedly, ATMs saves a lot of time and money while meeting our banking requirements but in today`s time, they have become the easy spots for criminals for advancing their criminal activities. As ATMs are open 24x7, robbers find easy targets during night and midnight. Robbers or thieves waits near the ATM area and as soon as one withdraws cash, they initialize their activities. The victims of most ATM robberies are women as they are easy targets thus one should use ATM safely.
Some simple safety measures that one should follow while visiting ATMs in their daily life are listed below:
- Make sure that you visit an ATM which is located in well-lighted and busy areas as ATMs those in remote or hidden areas are commonly at targets of robbers. Don`t use ATM behind buildings, pillars, walls, or away from public view as it may be risky. As robbers and criminals give surprise visits, don`t let yourself become soft targets for them. Use ATMs located at public places.
- Try to visit an ATM that seems safer even if it located far from your place. Try to use ATM during day hours and if you have to withdraw cash during night or evening, take someone with you. While going to the ATM look around yourself as there might be some suspicious elements following you. If you feel as if someone is after you or looks suspicious, put your idea of using ATM at hold and go back through a different route.
- When you visit an ATM keep your card ready for access and while inserting your unique pin code, keep an eye behind you to crosscheck as if someone is tracking your details. If you are new to the ATM, take someone with you for help. Don`t take help from anyone standing behind you as it can be risky. As soon as you get cash from the ATM, put it instantly in your bag, take your card and walk away.
- If the lighting of an ATM is not working properly or if is not well lit, don`t use that ATM, especially during night hours.
- Don`t count your cash in public and always shut the door while entering the machine.
- If you`re facing any problem, consult the ATM guard and don`t take help from strangers.