Wedding is a special event in the lives of two individuals who decide to share their joys and sorrows together for the rest of their lives. Taking Wedding Vows is an important ritual in any marriage ceremony, irrespective of creed or religion. An wedding vow refers to the solemn promises the betrothed couple make to each other in the presence of guests and marriage officiant. This tradition is an integral part of any marriage ceremony. It sets the right tone of a relationship which is supposed to be happy and long-lasting. The vows you take at the wedding ceremony must reflect your honest feelings for your beloved. The wordings, be it written or uttered, must be chosen carefully without any trace of ambiguity. The simplest yet divine marriage wedding vow is found in the Catholic tradition of marriage. The Catholic wedding vow goes like this: To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish `till death do us part. The sacredness of Hindu Wedding Vows reflects 6000 years of culture and heritage. Hinduism is one of the largest religion in the world. Myriads of customs and religions have merged into this polytheistic religion to give it a unique charm of its own. Hindu Wedding Vows are replete with a deeply religious connotation in which the divine aspects of marriage are highlighted.
Hindu marriage vows allude to various stages of married life. Although Hindu Wedding Vows differ slightly with regards to local culture, the core more or less remains the same. A Hindu marriage vow is taken while the couple are instructed to take a Saat Phere or seven steps. Each one of this step is symbolic of the forward motion of life, not alone but with a partner. Glean through the customary utterances as far as Hindu Wedding Vows are concerned.
1. With God as our guide, let us take the first step to live with honor and respect. Let us walk together so we get food.
2. Let us be happy and enjoy life. Let us walk together so we grow together in strength."
3. Let us share joys and pains together. Let us walk together so we get wealth.
4. Let us not forget parents and elders. Let us walk together so we get happiness by sharing our joys and sorrows."
5. Let us observe all acts of charity. Let us walk together so we have family.
6. Let us live a long and peaceful life. Let us walk together so we have joy.
7. Let us be friends with love and sacrifice. Let us walk together so we have friendship."
8. With seven steps we have become friends. Let me reach your friendship. Let me not be severed from your friendship. Let your friendship not be severed from me.