Children who have been sexually abused sometimes never get back to normal. The trauma they undergo is unimaginable, their flower-like innocence is crushed and their childhood is lost forever. They feel betrayed, they can never approach sex with a normal attitude, and dread even the touch of any person of the opposite sex. With the result that even if they do get married, they feel like their bodies are being invaded and they get terribly uncomfortable with such natural acts like kissing or even hugging. Their relationships are tarred forever.
What are the most common problems faced by these unfortunate kids?
- They get paranoid about sex and try to avoid getting into any sexual relationship
- If ever they get married or do get into a relationship, they tend to shut their eyes and have sex as a mere fulfillment of an obligation
- They feel emotionally disturbed even by touch
- May experience nightmares of their trauma during sex
- May not even be interested in having sex
- May have great difficulty in entering into any close relationship
- May experience actual vaginal pain which makes them relive their horrible ordeal
- May feel a rush of anger, guilt or repulsion at the mere idea of having sex
These unfortunate kids are often in need of proper counselling that will rehabilitate them into society as normal people, help them resume relationships and allow them to lead healthy lives. Healing strategies have to be practiced that will help them forget their trauma and simultaneously help them reclaim their sexuality that has undergone a brutal bashing.
It may take many months or even years before any positive results can be seen so great is the trauma these kids undergo. The patient has to be in the right frame of mind, has to be of an age when she can understand what is being said and also be able to help herself to a great extent. The danger of the patient reliving the nightmarish experience is one that has to be taken great care of. With proper loving care, the patient can be healed to a great extent and helped to lead a normal life.