To begin at the beginning, list out whatever comes to your mind about what you want from life. You might put things like happiness, hope, college of your choice, a great career, a wonderful husband ` the list is often endless! So much the better for you! And do you know why? It`s because while some goals are achieved easily, some may take ages. Once you have achieved some goal, you tend to lose interest and need other goals to keep you going. Once you realize that achieving a goal is all in your hands, you don`t have to settle for anything less. The interesting thing about charting out goals to be achieved is that you can keep adding and subtracting all through the journey that is life.
How to set your goals
- Remember that whatever goals you set must be your very own and should not be someone else`s. Not even those of your husband, children or even your boss. It is when you allow others to influence your definition of success that you are putting a spoke on your future.
- Decide on goals that are meaningful and suit your convictions. If the goals have no meaning or significance for you, the whole exercise is a waste.
- Always have realistic and achievable goals. There is no point in asking for the moon.
- Never be vague in your demands. Being specific always has better results. Write down clearly what your intentions are ` if you want to top your class, simply write it down, look at it every day and work towards achieving it. This way, there is no way you can fail!
- Decide on goals that are challenging and never take shelter in your comfort zone ` after all, you need to see that you have the energy and cutting edge to achieve what you want
- Always keep your targets flexible. This way, you don`t feel hemmed in by your own rigid rules and regulations and not allow yourself to miss out on opportunities
- Avoid being judgemental when you are writing down your goals, o you might find that you are questioning the validity of each. This will only hamper your progress.
- Be willing to go all out. Never hesitate to ask for what you want. Be prepared to work hard and smart and also to make sacrifices along then way.
Never let pride, low self esteem, fear or ignorance come in the way. These are all signs of weakness and will hinder your success in achieving your goals