- Do not make crass embarrassing jokes in your attempt to be `humorous`. Your jokes should be in good taste in accordance with the type of audience and also the occasion. Remember your audience will be a mixed one ` there will be people who are quite inhibited and will frown at jokes that do not conform to good taste. Always err on the side of caution and respect people`s standards.
- Never go overboard in your attempt to make people laugh. There is always a limit and you cannot go on and on indefinitely. You can make out if the audience is getting restless ` there will be that inevitable shuffling of seats, that obvious glancing at the time. You will then know you are overdoing it and going beyond your prescribed time limit.
- Do not simply rehash old jokes and try to pass them off as your own. People will feel cheated and will have a poor opinion of you.
- Look and appreciate the life around you. This is the best way to develop your sense of humour. Even if you have a spark of talent in this direction, you can improve on it and cultivate it. Keep reading up and enjoying humorous anecdotes and quotes. Learn to deliver the punch line with maximum effect.
- Be committed to your tasks but learn to also not be too serious in life. Develop the ability to laugh at yourself even while you take your tasks seriously.
- A hearty laugh will ease any tension. Learn to laugh and develop the ability to see humour in any situation.
Follow these simple guidelines and you will become the toast of any party with your subtle and effective humour. You will come across as a warm, cheerful, ebullient person with a discerning sense of humour.