You often take precautions to safeguard your skin against harmful sun rays but what about your eyes? Your eyes are among the most sensitive body parts. When you get exposed to sun, harmful ultraviolet rays might affect your eyes badly. If the nature of your work is such that you have to stay outside in an open environment for maximum hours during a day, the risk increases. UV A and UV B rays, found in sunlight are quite harmful and give rise to many eye diseases such as cataract. Protect your eyes against those harmful rays with following tips:
- Always wear protective eye gear that uses UV filter to prevent any harmful radiations entering your eyes. If you wear contact lens, choose the one that provides protection against UV rays.
- Use sunglasses every time you go outside in the sun. There is a huge range of sunglasses that uses the UV radiation filter. Consult an ophthalmologist before taking glasses as he or she can recommend you the best quality that suits your eyes.
- Prefer going outside at times when the sun is not on its high, and if you have to go protect yourself fully before leaving.
- Even your surroundings affects your eyes. If you have reflective surfaces around your home or office, the intensity of UV radiations becomes almost double. UV rays get scattered in urban areas where tall buildings are present.
- Avoid using medicines that increase your sensitivity for ultraviolet radiations such as birth control pills, sulfa drugs, etc. Ask your doctor about the sensitivity that a medicine present for some radiations to avoid any complications.
- If you have kids, take special care of them as their eyes are much more sensitive to sun than yours. They need more protection against sun.
Your eyes are precious as you see the whole world around you with them. Protect them against all odds and enjoy the beauty around you.