1. Location and Guest list:
- The success of many a celebration rests upon the quality of the food and is often the most expensive part of any celebration.
- Hotels are expensive, but have the infrastructure to give you the best.
- If using private caterers, ask to see samples of their cutlery, furniture, linen and glasses.
- Remember to sample their food, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian, ideally, at another wedding or event.
- Ensure that the caterer provides enough food for every guest and keeps the serving dishes full and attractive throughout the meal.
- Invitation cards give your guests the first impression as to the style of the event and hence assume vital importance. They should be imaginative but elegant.
- Remember to send one card to each family on your guest list.
- It is a nice gesture to send an invitation also to friends and relatives who you know will be unable to attend.
- Order a few extra invitations to allow for damages and unforeseen invitees and place the entire order at the same time to save costs.
- Invitations should be sent out no sooner than two months in advance and no later than one month before. This way, your guests will neither forget your wedding date nor make other plans.
- Keeping track of acceptances and refusals is as important as sending out the invitations.
- This is a very important feature of any wedding.
- Discuss with your photographer what kind of pictures you would like.
- Once he gets an idea of the type of wedding you are having, he will be able to perform better.
- Book your photographer as soon as you have seen his previous work and are satisfied with it.
- Most of the large photo agencies have their own videographers, so work out a deal if you are having both a photographer and videographer.
- Ask them if they will give you albums, CDs and other "extras" at no additional cost.
5. Flowers and Hall decor:
- Flowers are an essential feature of any wedding.
- Many hotels and banquet halls do the flower arrangements and decorations themselves including tables, varmalas, dolis, sehra, prayers and related rites based on your requirements.
- There are pandal decoration specialists who do a great job of decorating according to taste and theme.
6. Accommodation and Transport:
- Most weddings have guests coming from out of town and hence you need to make arrangements for their stay and transportation.
- Depending on your budget, you can arrange accommodations in hotels/guest houses. Besides stay, you will need to arrange for food and transport as well.
This is a basic check-list. Custom make a special one to suit your special needs.