Green weddings are a trend abroad not because people want to scrimp on money but because they want to save the environment. On the most important day of your life, you are telling the earth not just about the love that is shared between the two of you, but of the love that you have for the world, the environment. This however does not mean going green all the way. That is very difficult and sometimes very boring too. Here are a few tips that you could follow to protect the place where you are living and breathing.
- Have your wedding in a place that is close by to most people and where public transport is also available.
- Why waste paper when you can have an original and creatively designed web-based invitation? After all, people do throw away the invitation once the ceremony is over, don`t they?
- If you have a web-based invitation, people may not necessarily discard it.
- Today there are personalised wedding websites. You could post your directions, schedules and anything else that you need to there. It saves both time and money!
- Do not use disposable plates. You will be adding to the environmental pollution.
- Instead of spending so much on flowers, you could arrange a bowl with beads, seeds or even marbles!
- Get your wedding pictures done digitally. You can print the ones that you want and put the rest on your personalised wedding website.
- Abroad, the couple asks the guests to donate money towards a charity instead of giving them gifts.
- Guests are given seeds to plant or even small saplings of exotic flowers. This is a way of making sure that there are more plants on this earth.
- Have organic food at your wedding.
- Don`t have so many items on the menu that half of it goes waste.
- Don`t throw away food; distribute it to an orphanage.
- Have your honeymoon at a quiet place that you need not travel far too.
For some this could sound very, very unexciting, given the grandeur of Indian weddings. But when you consider that this is the best gift you can give to your own children, you will think twice. When your child sees your wedding pictures on the net, she will realise how much you love the earth and therefore she too has to do it. Go Green!