In the present times cushions are treated as nondescript item of furnishing and is often taken for granted.
They come in all shapes and sizes. Sizes starting at 10" x 10" to 18" x 18".They are typically used as comforters for the back and are strewn in numbers and assorted sizes on sofas, divans, gaddas, floor mats and even the bed. The big cushions which come in sizes 24"x 24` are used as floor cushions.
Shapes: Cushion shapes depend on the individual requirement and the decor of the homeowner. You have a triangular, square, a rectangular an oblong and of course the round cushions. These days cushions are also molded on the lines of animal characters taken from fairy tales, and toys normally used for the children`s room.
Fabrics: Regardless of what shape and size they come in, cushions add a touch of feminity to a decor especially when they come encased in soft tissues, silks and polycot fabrics embellished with patchwork, sequins, shimmering beadwork with traditional and contemporary motifs on it.
- Cushions may be used in a singular style to accentuate a formal ambience.
- An array of sizes, shapes and colours enhance the home decor.
- The oblong cushions can be used either in the bedroom or in the living areas depending on the decor.
- Combined with bolsters, cushions make an interesting seating area.
- Cushions combined with bolsters make a comfortable window seat.
Some Useful Do`s and Don`ts
- Be individualistic. Don`t follow what others have.
- Add a personal touch.customize your cushion covers.
- Go for soft shapes rather than the straight lined ones.
- Be practical. Keep aside the heavily embellished ones for occasions and use simple ones for daily use.
- When using designer covers, follow wash care instructions.
Whatever the use, whether used for sitting or to soften the hardness of a chair or couch cushions when used trendily occupy the place of pride in your house.