- Before you start planning your garden, you need to study the conditions around you. They should define the plants you choose to grow.
- Gardening primarily depends on the weather and soil conditions. So what kind of weather are you looking at primarily? Some plants grow better in the sun, others can`t take too much of it. A damp atmosphere suits some plants. Others flourish in the dry arid regions. Most gardens in India get a fair amount of sunlight.
- You will also need to study your soil. Is it sandy, clay, loam or regular soil? If you can`t judge for yourself, you could get a person from the local nursery to help you out. The kind of soil you have, will decide the plants you choose to grow.
Choice of plants
- Choose a wide range of plants. A garden full of the same kind of plant won`t be very interesting. No matter how small your garden is, have two or more varieties of plants.
- It is essential to have some perennial plants in the garden. Perennials live for years, even when they seem to die each winter. They normally send up fresh shoots when the weather gets warmer.
- These perennials can be alternated with biennial and seasonal plants.
- Biennial plants grow from seeds and will produce stems and leaves in the first season. They flower in the second season. They wither away after the flowering season.
- A smattering of evergreen plants will ensure that your garden won`t look bare even during the seasonal changes.
- Once you`ve understood the different kinds of plants you can use, and what they can do for your garden, you can play with the design and landscaping. Plants need to complement and supplement each other for a garden to look good.
The kind of garden you have will depend of weather and soil conditions. Basically, sunlight, moisture, wind, temperature and soil type will define the kind of garden you can have.
Our next article will be on how to prepare the ground.
Pick plants that will bloom well in the given conditions. A refreshing mixture of evergreens, annuals and biennials will give your garden a refreshing variety. Plants are classified according to how hardy they are.