There is a wrong notion among people that once your sugar is under control one can go back to a normal diet. This is not true. Irrespective of whether the blood sugar level is under control or not, the diabetic must continue to follow a strict diet.
There are a few things that diabetics must not eat under any circumstances.
- All cereals, such as rice, wheat, ragi and jowar, contain about 70 per cent of starch. So, it is not the type of cereal that matters, but the quantity of the intake.
- Buttermilk, tomato juice, lime juice, soups and salads can be taken in unlimited amounts.
- Eat vegetables and greens. Avoid root vegetables.
The following foodstuffs must be avoided completely even after blood sugar is brought under control.
- Sugar, honey, glucose, jaggery and sweets.
- Nuts like cashewnuts, badam and pista.
- Tender coconut and tender coconut water.
- Soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, health drinks that contain sugar.
- Fruits like mangoes, jack fruit and sapota.
- Dry fruits like dates and grapes.
Fruits like apple, orange, sweetlime, papaya, guava, plum, pomegranate, watermelon, muskmelon can be taken only when blood sugar is under control.