Feeling a painful burning sensation in your chest or throat? No, it is not always a heart attack; it could be heartburn. This happens when stomach acid flows backward or refluxes into your oesophagus (food pipe) and into your throat or mouth. So, what causes it? It has to do much with the urban Indian lifestyle. According to a study carried out by NGO Health Care Welfare Society: stressful life, eating out, eating spicy food, processed food and junk food - all contribute to heart burn
Ayurveda And Heartburn
Heartburn occurs due to too much stomach acid. The process of digestion includes three basic elements: Pachaka Pitta and Pachaka Agni, Kledaka Kapha and Samana Vata. An imbalance in Pachaka Pitta, which is responsible for breaking down the food you eat, causes heartburn and acidity or Pitta. Restoring the Pitta balance with diet can help get rid of acidity. Chewing on a few fennel seeds, four times a day, reducing sour, pungent and salty foods, eating fresh foods, avoiding heat and prolonged exposure to sun, overworking, stressful situations and alcohol can help prevent acidity. A little cool milk is good, but should not be taken with meals.
Home Remedies For Acidity
1. Take a mixture of 2 tsp. of natural apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp. of raw honey in a glass of water before meals.
2. Drink a glass of water with a teaspoon of baking soda.
3. After all three meals, take a small piece of jaggery and keep it in your mouth and suck. Voila! No more acidity.
4. Take a cardamom and a clove and powder it. Consume it like a mouth freshener after having your each meal. Not only will this remedy take care of your acidity problem, but it will keep away bad breath.
5. Take cumin seeds boiled in a glass of water.
6. Drink tender coconut water 3-4 times a day.
7. Take a mixture of 1 tsp. fresh ginger juice, tsp. honey and a pinch of turmeric at least three times a day.
8. Heat half glass milk and add less than tsp. of turmeric and sugar. Drink while warm.
9. Chew bubble-gum and acidity will disappear. This is an easy way to get rid of acidity.
courtesy: New Woman