People often develop a mild cough due to infection or seasonal variations and it is quite normal. Though cough associates some kind of disease or infection with it, it does not necessary indicate a medical problem. You can develop cough as one of the many possible symptoms of a particular medical condition while at other times it may be just be due to throat or respiratory passage. It can be treated well only if you know what type of cough you have. A mild cough can be treated well with home remedies and you need not to visit a doctor you have cough but if it becomes critical, you must seek medical help.
Cough occurs as a reflex action to clear the airways from mucous, foreign particles, irritants, and any other type of blockage. It can be classified as acute or chronic depending on the duration.
Cough can be dry or wet. Dry cough is more painful as it brings no fluid or sputum. Wet or productive cough expels all germs or irritants through mucus.
Cough can be caused as a symptom of some diseases or as a result of throat infection, cold, etc. Some common causes of cough are:
- Allergies due to dust, smoke, hay, pollen, etc.
- Seasonal variations
- Lung or throat infection
- Whooping cough
- Other medical conditions
People usually like treating cough with some herbal remedies present in your home instead of taking medicines as these remedies are very effective. There are many natural ingredients and substances that can be used to treat cough. However, some drugs are really effective in treatment of cough, but they have certain side affects so one should avoid using them and seek natural ways to treat the condition. Here are some natural remedies to get rid of cough:
- Drink hot water mixed with honey to get instant relief from cough.
- Extract onion juice and mix it with honey. Take this mixture twice or thrice daily, it will help you to relieve cough and chest congestion.
- Grape juice mixed with honey should be taken three to four times daily for relaxing yourself from bad cough.
- Take some water and add fenugreek seeds to it. Now boil the water for 20-30 minutes and let it become luke warm. Gargle with this solution to get relief from sore throat.
- Warm spinach should be used to gargle to get immediate relief from bad cough.
- Add black pepper powder and salt to lemon juice and drink it to reduce the cough intensity.
- Drink warm water several times a day to relieve sore throat.
- Add salt to warm water and gargle with it two to three times a day.
- Drink hot black coffee to get instant relief from bad cough.
- Elevate your head by using two to three pillows while sleeping at night.
One would recover from mild cough within 7-8 days with proper care, but it may last for few weeks if it`s severe. Use herbal remedies to treat your cough naturally and consult a physician if it last for more than 3-4 weeks.