2 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure almond essence (optional)
2 cup blanched almonds finely ground (8 ounces)
1. In mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
2. Gradually beat in sugar and almond extract, if used, until stiff, shiny peaks form.
3. Stir almonds into meringue.
4. On greased baking sheets, pipe through large star tip or drop by tablespoons forming small mounds two-inches apart.
5. Bake at 350 degrees 18 to 20 minutes, until firm and lightly browned. Cool on racks. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 30 cookies.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes