A fabulous Chinese soup that is quite easy to dish out - Remember to get fresh Spring Onions for this - makes all the difference.
- Oil ---- 1 teaspoon
- Minced garlic ---- 2 teaspoons
- Mushrooms ---- ½ cup, chopped
- Cabbage --- 1 cup, shredded
- Spring onions --- ½ cup, chopped
- Cooked chicken breast ---- ½ cup, shredded
- Soya sauce --- 2 teaspoons
- Chicken stock ---- 4 cups
- Corn flour ---- 3 tablespoons
- Salt & Pepper ---- To taste
Prepare the stock several hours or a day ahead. Take 6 cups of water, add one chicken breast, few leaves of celery, a slice of ginger and one chopped onion. Add 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper corns. Simmer till the chicken is cooked. Strain and reserve the chicken breast, part of which will be used in the soup. (The remaining chicken can be frozen to use in other recipes) Cool the stock and refrigerate. The fat from chicken will solidify on the surface. Discard the fat and use the stock. Heat oil in a non stick pan, fry the garlic till fragrant. Add mushrooms, cabbage and spring onion. Sprinkle with a little salt. (This will release the moisture from the vegetables and help to cook them in their own juices without the need for more oil) Saut© till the vegetables are tender. Add soya sauce and the stock. Bring to a boil. Add corn flour mixed to a paste with some water or stock. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Taste and add the seasoning. Serve hot.