Peas pulav cooked in coconut milk
For 4 people
- Basmati Rice - 2 cups
- Ghee, butter or oil - 3 table spoons
- Peas - shelled / frozen - 1 cup
- Onions - 2 medium (sliced finely)
- Chillies - 2 (optional)
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 2 teaspoons
- Tomato - 1 big (chopped)
- Mint - 1 small bunch (chopped)
- Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch (chopped)
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Cinnamon - 1 stick (1 inch long)
- Cardamom - 4 pods
- Cloves - 2 pieces
- Star anise - 2 pieces
- Raw whole cashew nuts - a handful (2 tablespoons heaped or 50 g)
- Chopped coriander
Wash, soak rice for 15 minutes and drain. Set aside.
Heat ghee, butter or oil in a wide frypan and fry the cashewnuts until golden. Remove the cashew nuts and set on a paper towel. To the pan, add the condiments and after 1 minute, add sliced onion and chillies. Saute until onions are translucent and are just begining to turn golden. Add the ginger - garlic paste and chopped tomato and cook for 5 minutes until the moisture from the tomato is dry. Add peas. Add the chopped mint and coriander and after they just wilt, add the drained rice and mix well. Once the moisture from the rice has evaporated , take off from heat.
Cooking in a Microwave:
Place liquid ( water and coconut milk) and rice mixture in a microwaveable vessel and cook uncovered on high for 15 minutes. Allow it to rest for a further 10 minutes before garnishing and serving.
Garnish with the fried cashew nuts and chopped coriander leaves.