When you do (have to buy microwaveable cooking ware), remember these guidelines -
1. Depth and capacity of the container are very important.
2. Shallow dishes work better than deep ones.
3. Straight dishes cook the food evenly. (In sloping dishes the food in the shallow parts gets over-heated.)
4. Round and ring shaped dishes are excellent for food, which cannot be stirred.
The following types of dishes can be used for microwave cooking:
1. Paper plates, towels, napkins etc can be used only for reheating and not for cooking.
2. Ovenproof chinaware, glass (borosilware) and pottery dishes are perfectly suitable.
3. Ceramic dishes can be used provided they are non-porous. To check if the dish is non-porous, heat it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. The dish should not feel warm.
4. Plastics like Styrofoam are safe for heating but melt at cooking temperatures.
5. Melamine is not recommended as it may char.
6. 100 % cotton and linen napkins can be used for short reheating purposes to heat breads etc.
7. Wooden spoons maybe left in the microwave for short cooking periods. Metal dishes, foil, decorations should not be used while cooking.