Are you in the habit of sending your child to school with a small bag of junk food, thankful that he eats something at least? Of course, that is all that he will eat. A bigger bag of the same? Rest assured, he will eat the whole thing. But what if you send him with a nice shiny apple? Hmmm would you be surprised if I tell you he will most certainly eat it? Kids when they are hungry, just eat whatever is sent. Make that an apple and an orange and you have more goodness going into his system.
So here is a Small Checklist to Begin the Reformation!
- Serve a bowl of fresh oatmeal for breakfast. Garnish it with some nuts that your kid loves. You may also use fresh fruit sometimes.
- Send proper lunch to school. Do not substitute with junk food.
- If the child is served lunch in school, do visit at lunchtime to see for yourself whether what is served is nutritious.
- Encourage the sale of healthy snacks in the school canteen.
- Why donate you start with the birthday party at home? All kids love cake and icecream and you cannot cut that out. But how about serving some healthy snacks instead of fingerchips or deep fried pakodas? If you are sending snacks to the kids classmates, make that healthy alternatives too!
- While we are on the topic, how about becoming a role model for your kid how about your starting to eat healthy?
- Do some research and see what healthy carbs are available hat will give you energy without harming you.
- You need to plan ahead for meals and evening snacks. Always have some freshly cut veggies for snacking.
- You need to teach your child to read the nutrition labels on foodstuff that he buys.
- Definitely discourage the school from selling junk food of any sort on the premises. Suggest some healthy alternatives.
This way, you can ensure that your child is slowly weaned away from all the unhealthy alternatives by way of attractive junk foods, and is habituated to eating healthy food.
If you have any thoughts to spare on this subject, do use our Discussion Forum to put your views across. Meet like- minded women from all over the world, discuss healthy alternatives and healthy recipes for kids. This is your chance to deal with this problem and help your child to become a healthy adult