If you are a diabetic or someone in your family is, going out to eat may seem like taboo, but it isn`t! Of course, no two diabetics will have the same meal plan, but essentially diabetics need to limit fat and salt, they need to limit calories and eat more fibre.
A diabetic has to watch her calories, and if you eat smart, you can eat healthy and nutritious as well. What`s even better, if you know what you can eat, you can enjoy your evening even better!
Choose a fresh fruit or vegetable starter
Munch on roasted papads or some almonds
Avoid cream based soups
Stay away from bread rolls and definitely from the butter!
Salted nuts, pickles and honey based sauces are not for you.
Have a diet coke, buttermilk or a fresh lime soda ( without salt / sugar)
- Select a fresh fruits / vegetable salad
- Avoid creamy dressings, pickles, canned or marinated vegetables, cured meats, seasoned croutons, cheese etc
- Order salad dressings on the side and use small amounts of them.
- The secret is to ensure, your stomach is half-full even before you start on the main course
- Take your pick from grilled, tandoori or roasted chicken, meat, fish, or shellfish.
- Eating lots of vegetables will fill you up, but they are low on calories, so you are safe.
- Go easy on the salt. Sprinkling salt on cooked food is taboo.
- Avoid butter naan, parathas, casseroles, dishes with white sauce, coconut based gravies, and honey based sauces.
- If you are eating at a fast food restaurant, avoid the pickled gherkins, cheese and sauces you-are-not-sure-of.
Desserts and diabetics don`t go together. Don`t even consider dessert unless your sugar levels are under perfect control. In which case, you can select a fresh fruit salad. Pick fruits like apple, orange, pear, papaya etc that are low on sugar. Do not opt for fruits high in sugar, like chikoo, mangoes, grapes etc.
Eating out today is inevitable: it may be a business lunch, dinner with friends, fast food joints with the kids or food from a take-away. Eating out can also be quick, easy and fun! But diabetics need to watch what they eat! When you eat out, order only what you need and want. You don`t necessarily have to finish enormous portions Learn how to make changes in your meal plan in case the restaurant doesn`t have just what you want.