The term Christmas is derived from `Cristes Maesse` which means the `Mass of Christ`. It is a customary holiday in the English calendar and the most propitious day celebrated worldwide with great pomp and show on December 25th of every year. This day is observed as the birth anniversary of Lord Jesus Christ who was born at Bethlehem, considered as the land of Jews. Being the son of God and the originator of Christian religion, this day is rejoiced as a symbol of reverence to Lord Jesus. The celebrations go on for twelve days starting from 25th December to 6th January.
Many of the widely practiced traditions which incorporate Christmas trees, mistletoe, Christmas presents, and Santa Claus are contemporary personifications of the most dissolute pagan traditions ever practiced on earth. The common phrase exchanged among Christians is Merry Christmas. Wishing someone Merry Christmas is simply wishing them a serene or sacred "Mass of Christ".
The notion of sharing and giving of presents will jog your memory into the gifts which were offered to Jesus. Some rituals are still widespread which has an eternal appeal. Like your mantel piece being decorated with stockings, and the house being decorated by vibrant lights.
The festival spread the meaning of cheerfulness, love and merry making. People usually come out of their houses and sing Christmas carols on the road. Its a festival which brings together people from every corner of the world to spread the message of love and affection.
History of Christmas
Historians argue that Christmas was first observed in Rome in 336 A.D. Early Romans, however, could not admit their religion honestly as Christianity had developed in blood and tears in Rome. The religion was adapted by masses later in the 4th century A.D. after the adaptation of Emperor Constantine to Christianity.
This society then felt the desire to rejoice the birth of Christ as a fiesta. It was seen that different communities had been observing Jesus`s birth on different days like 6th January, 19th April, 20th May, 17th November, and 25th December. 25th December was accepted as the preferred date by the 5th century A.D. in the Western World and steadily the Eastern Churches also followed the west.
Customarily the mid-winter has long been a time of celebration globally. Even before the advent of Jesus, many communities celebrated during the winter season.
Be simple and give a personalized touch to your Christmas decorations. There are different types of attractive Christmas items with which you can embellish your house thus adding an exclusive touch to your celebrations. There are some traditional items which are used as part of the Christmas decorations.
- Decorating your Christmas home - Red and green are two colors which are customarily used for Christmas decorations. Since it is the brightest time of the year you can also go beyond these traditional colors. Make ribbon bows from vibrant colors and put them all across the wall. Make Christmas designs from cardboards, cloth and papers. Draw Santa Claus, Stars or stockings and put them all over the house. It is suggested to use tablecloths, painted in green and red or something that has Christmas designs on it.
- Decorating your Christmas tree The most significant of all Christmas dİcor items is the Christmas tree. The size of the Christmas tree depends on the size of the room and catches the attention of all the guests. You should decorate your Christmas tree as vibrant as possible. The decoration pieces for the Christmas tree could be rings, bells and candies, being covered in decorated wrappers. Use battery operated lights or Christmas garlands for adorning the staircase and the walls. One can also place plants been lit up in the house. This way you can create an exclusive Christmas ambience in the house and make the festive occasion more colorful.
- Lighting your Christmas home Avoid using electric lights. You could also utilize your imagination in decorating the fireplace in your house. Use the right combination of colors for decoration. Try to experiment with blue, mauve and copper lights. Candles are an important ingredient of Christmas festivity. You can stylishly pair them with colored candles which will ensure vibrant impact.
Knotted with the festivities are the Christmas Carols - the musical songs which adds vibrancy to the festive disposition. The librettos of the songs are inimitable, amusing, engaging and religious. But all in all it definitely adds to the appeal of the festivity. Some of the famous songs and carols are:
- Come All Ye Faithful
- God Rest You Merry Gentlemen
- Jingle Bells
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas
- Joy to the World
- Ave Maria
- A Child Is Born in Bethlehem
- Angels from the Realms of Glory
The spirit of this day resides in giving and sharing. Gifting Christmas gifts to all your near and dear ones be it friends, family or colleague, forms a vital part of the celebrations. When presenting with a gift you also need to consider the likes and dislikes of the particular person you are gifting. You can gift your loved ones some things like:
- Beautiful Christmas Greeting Cards can be a fantastic way to wish someone on this day.
- Christmas Gift Baskets which generally contain dry fruits, cookies and chocolates are another gift items which when gifted can bring a smile on the face of that someone special.
- Wines are a popular gift item. Carry a good wine to your friends place which you can uncork during a sumptuous dinner.
- Other popular gift items which you can give on this special day are clothes, bags, electronic items, food items, and accessories. You can also plan to give something unique which is handmade.
An essential part of the celebration is the food items which are exquisitely made for the special day. On this day your family and friends will cook some scrumptious dishes which will add to the merry making. A dinner of roast turkey or fruit mince pies can be a delightful meal on this day. So treat your guests to some amazing food and beverages like:
- Eggnog can be served to your guests. It is a very popular item which is a great punch and often people mix wine to it to make it into a delightful cocktail.
- Hot chocolate is also a popular drink which is given to the guests. This is very popular among the kids.
- Sugar cookies are also a favorite food items for this celebration.
- Gingerbread man is a trendy food item and is greatly popular among the children.
- Food items like ham, roasted duck, and roast turkey are hugely enjoyed during Christmas dinners. These food items are served with vegetables like onions, broccoli, potatoes, corn, and cranberry sauce.