I have a couple of old suits, one with a great jacket and terrible trousers, the other vice versa. Can I split the suits, and wear the trousers and jackets with other clothes?
Yes, of course. A navy suit is perhaps the most versatile as you can wear it separately with other jackets or with a sweater. There are certain rules though, that you should follow if you don`t want to look like a clown.
1. Don`t wear navy and black together.
2. If either the jacket or trousers have a check or pinstripe, make sure anything else you wear is plain.
3. Do wear plain suit trousers with a roll-neck.
4. Do wear a navy jacket with dark blue jeans and a white T-shirt for a classic casual look.
5. Choose a suit in gabardine (a cloth used in chinos) as it`s hard- wearing. It`ll be less obvious if you`ve worn your trousers twice as often as your jacket and it looks more relaxed than other fabrics.