The origin of the word model comes from French word Modele. The models are employed for the purpose of displaying & promoting fashionable branded clothes. Fashion modeling involves runway or catwalk modeling, cover page photography for various magazines, catalogues etc.
Supermodels are high profile fashion models who are paid highly to be displayed on fashion magazines covers, catalogues or even walking on a fashion ramp.
Many women desire to appear, dress and act like a model. To imitate a model, one should first start walking like a model. The females on the runway might make the whole act look like a cakewalk but displaying that confidence and designer outfit in that 4-inch heels isn`t all that easy.
Few easy steps on how to walk like a catwalk model
Be comfortable and make sure that you select the right shoes. If you are not comfortable in walking in 4 inches heels begin with a two inch heel. In case if the shoes are straight from the stores then scrape off the soles with scissors so that you do not trip when the shoes come in contact with the surface. Instead, you can also mask the sole of the shoe, if you do not desire to scrape your shoes.
- Practice to stand like a supermodel. Observe your attitude, toss your shoulders back, and thrust your pelvis a little forward. This will form an illusion that you`re inclining backwards than hunching forward.
- Coach yourself to put down the ball of the foot first and position all your balance there than on the heel. This will provide you a graceful walk rather than a fidgety heel-first stride would. It is more like striding on your tippy-toes.
- Literally place one foot in front of the other. Your toes should face ahead and the footprints should create one straight line giving an impression of walking on a rope. When done swiftly, this gives the body that distinguishing sway.
- Make your walk look elongated and powerful by bracing your legs almost in the same manner a horse would. For every step, you must raise your foot a proper distance off the platform by bending the knee and then settle it down in front of the other leg. Avoid making your steps too big and elongated as this will make you look gauche and clumsy. Be sure that the steps you take are enough and not baby steps.
- Always look straight and capture the spirits of the outfits you are donning with a suitable expression on your face. Concentrate on any object which is placed in front of you with your chin down a bit and eyes up. Do not move your head but body while walking the runway. Gently swing your lower arms as you take your steps and avoid swaying your upper arms. While turning at the end of the runway, take a step back, spin on that back foot and allow your head be the last body part to move.
- Do not curl your fingers like they are when relaxed. This will provide a clumsy look. Rather leave them straight down. This will make your fingers look natural.
- Create your signature walk. However, to create your own walk is not all that tough. Developing your own walk is not about how perfectly you can swing your body but also how much of your own persona can infuse into your act to make it worth remembering. The perfect way to generate your own exclusive style is to try out different stuff, observe, and get feedback.
Tips to Follow
- Observe supermodels walk the ramp. Attend fashion shows or you can observe them on television. Question yourself on the models that made a mark with their performance and what made them exclusive and different from other models. Observe how different her walk was from the others. In this way you can learn fast.
- Capture your walk on the tape, so that you can get an idea on what other individuals are paying attention to. By keeping a visual evidence of your walk, you will not only be able to mark your improvement but you will also gradually learn on how to exhibit your confidence like a real supermodel, without overdoing it.
- In case of other unfortunate situation such as tripping, falling, recover elegantly. Grin, laugh, and keep walking as if nothing happened. Nothing will reveal your self-belief like your performance under taxing situations.
- Decide on why you desire to look like a super model before you go about it. Deciding on a clear objective of looking and feeling great will add to your confidence which indirectly would elevate your personality. Your confident strides and attitudes are enough to prove how good you feel about yourself.
- Wearing high heels can lead to short-term and long-term harmful consequences on your body. Be it twisted ankle or a broken heel or weak knees; take these hazards into consideration when you settle on using high heels on daily basis.
- Restrict your catwalk to the runway and do not try it on daily basis. Make sure that there are no hindrances in your path because wearing high heels on a rough surface could injure you.