Eye strain could mean different things to different people, but it is generally referred as tiredness of eyes where one starts experiencing a slow pain in the eyes. Those who have a desk-bound job usually report eye strain due to a continuous exposure to computer screens, students during their exam days complains about eye strain, and everyone else has reported eye strain at least once. When we watch something regularly without shifting our focus, it results in eye strain as our eyes are made to shift the focus constantly to near and far objects. This is caused due to the overuse of eye muscles.
Eye strain is quite common nowadays and the main reason behind this is overusing visual displays such as computers, TV, etc. Students are the most affected by eye strain as they study for longer durations maintaining their focus on text books or on computer screens. One may suffer from tightness, sharp pains, burning, watering, slow pain, headaches or other sensations as a result of eye strain. Eye strain could affect your daily life. In most of the cases, it reduces the productivity. Thus, the only way to handle the eye strain is to relax your eyes while doing some pampering activities.
Some eye care tips that would help preventing eye strain are jotted down:
- Cover your eyes with your palms for quite sometime and try to feel the black world inside. Now remove your palms and repeat the exercise for about 10-12 times. It will help your eyes to relax as it switches the focus. You can do it while doing your work or while studying and it will take only 10 minutes to relax the eyes thus reducing eye strain.
- Blink often as it helps moisten the eyes thus reducing the tightness. Blinking is like a cleaning act for your eyes thus improving the vision.
- Don`t focus on visual displays for long duration without any breaks as a constant focus leads to overusing eye muscles thus leads to tiredness. Shift your focus after short intervals and try to see far objects or close your eyes for few seconds. These small breaks would keep your eye strain free.
- Set the contrast and brightness levels of the visual displays you work on to relax your eyes and so that constant exposure does not put any strain. Adjust the contrast and brightness levels as per your convenience or set them at standard values.
- Wash your eyes two to three times a day with cold water. Take water from a running tap and splash it on closed eyes. Allow the water to dry it on its own.
- Close your eyes for few minutes after regular intervals. These small breaks would reduce the strain on your eyes.
These simple eye care tips would help to reduce the eye strain to a large extent and you`ll be able to focus well on your job instead of eye strain. Your eyes are precious and thus it`s your duty to prevent them from any harm. Healthy eyes would help you achieve your tasks effectively thus work towards it.