A flat tummy and a slim waist is the dream of every woman; but very few attempt at having and maintaining such a figure. There is no need to despair as we can easily turn to yoga for this. These yogasanas besides trimming the tummy and giving a good waistline also help the mind to relax.
`Pada` means foot and `hasta` means hand in Sanskrit. This asana helps to reduce excess fat in the abdominal area. A graceful figure can be maintained through the regular practice of this asana.Step by step procedure Stand on the ground with feet together and raise both your arms over your head and inhale deeply. While doing this bend backwards a little.
Exhale slowly and then bend forwards and touch the toes or ankles without bending the knees.Try to bring your face close to the knees. Breathe normally while you are retaining the pose. Take care to see that your stomach is out while you breathe in and stomach is in when you breathe out.
In the beginning, some of you may not be able to touch your toes. In that case try and bend as far you can. Repeat this pose three times in the morning. Retain this pose for 10 seconds each time. By regular practice you can remain in this pose for one minute.
Points to remember
- Avoid doing yogasanas during the first three days of the monthly periods.
- Do Padahastasana only on an empty stomach.
- Padahastasana should be done slowly and without jerks.
- Avoid excessive strain.
- Those who have a slipped disc and problems of the ear should not attempt this asana.
This yoga pose is extremely beneficial to women. Since it involves stretching, it helps to keep the waist slim and the chest broad. Urdhava Hastotanasana increases the flexibility of the body.
Step by step procedure
- Stand erect and raise both your arms. Now interlock the fingers.
- Slowly swing the trunk to the right.
- Come back to the original position.
- In the same way, with the fingers interlocked, swing the trunk to the left.
- In the beginning you can do this pose for 15 seconds on each side. Gradually increase it to 30 seconds on each side.