Just as people meet with accidents and die, so do pets. So, if your child has had a pet and it died, what do you do? Do you buy an immediate replacement like you do a damaged toy car?
- Do not get a pet that is identical to the old one. You are not replacing a relationship. You are only getting your child a new one.
- In your hurry to fill the void for you or your child, don’t rush in to buy a pet that may not suit your lifestyle.
- Do not give your new pet the same name as your old pet.
- It is bound to rouse a lot of good memories and your new pet may not live up to those standards.
- In this case, you or the child will be terribly disappointed.
- In case you have other pets at home, remember that they may not welcome the newcomer with enthusiasm.
- Some pets mourn their lost companion much more than we do!
Time is the best healer. Wait and then jump in!