Losing fifty to hundred strands of hair a day is considered normal. This is natural hair fall. Old and dead hair will be replaced by new hair. But as men age, the re-growth is considerably slower than the hair fall. Thinning of hair precedes balding.
Though balding usually starts around middle age, there are cases where it is has begun in the late teens. The genetic factor combined with lack of hair care sometimes results in early balding.
Common attributes for hair loss:
If balding is a common feature in the immediate family, the genetic strain is likely to be strong. And sadly, little can be done to curb or cure this tendency.
Typhoid and a few other illnesses affect hair loss. Sometimes the hair growth is restored, but this isn`t a certainty.
Excessive stress causes hair loss. This is one of the very many reasons why stress should be controlled by exercise and meditation. Physical and mental trauma can play havoc on the hair.
Some kinds of strong drugs like those used in chemotherapy and certain strong antibiotics also cause hair fall. Hair fall that is induced by drug administration is, thankfully, a reversible process. The hair will grow back once the drugs are discontinued and the body stops reacting to them.
Men should take extra care to prevent balding.
- Hair should not be over brushed or over-combed. Every time hair is combed, its roots are being tugged at. Repeated combing will dislodge the hair from its roots altogether.
- Swimming in chlorinated pools without hair protection could hasten the balding process. Always wear a cap while swimming. Avoid pools that have excessive chlorine.
- Too much of the sun and wind can dry hair out, robbing it of its natural oils. Avoid prolonged exposure to strong sunlight.
- Over-shampooing causes hair loss. Shampoos used must be mild and gentle and not used more than twice a week.
- Hair dryers, hair spray and other chemical sprays should be avoided. Let hair dry naturally and fall in its natural wave.
- Chemical hair colours weaken the hair shaft, making it brittle and weak. Regular use of such dyes and tints is not good for the hair.
- Mal-nourished people often suffer hair loss. We need to consume adequate nutrients and vitamins every day. Iron, calcium and certain vital vitamins are essential for healthy hair.
Once hair starts thinning, it`s difficult to reverse the process. It`s better to take good care of your hair and avert the balding process rather than trying the cures available in the market.