The sun is the villain ! Be it the ageing process, wrinkles, dark patches, skin blemishes and even skin cancer !! Take our simple quiz and find out how sun - savvy you are...........
(1)For everyday use, you would choose a sunscreen with
(a) SPF 15
(b) SPF 8
(c) SPF 30
(2) A day on the beach, showing off your body beautiful, calls for sunscreen with
(a) SPF 30
(b) SPF 8
(c) SPF 15
(3) 95% of skin damage is caused by
(c) Using indiscriminate cosmetics
(4) Indian skins exposed to the sun
(a) tan more
(b) burn more
(c) get freckles
(5)Hair exposed to the sun
(a) becomes brittle and dry
(b) can lead to cancer of the scalp
(c) is rich in Vitamin D
(6) The areas most prone to skin cancer are
(a) nose, lips and ears
(b) throat, chest and back
(c) arms and legs
(7)The best way to apply sunscreen is
(a) to spread it evenly
(b) rub it in, well
(c) mix with water and dab it gently
(8) Exposure to the sun leads to chronic damage to the skin
(a) before the age of 20
(b) after the age of 20
(c) after the age of 40
(9)You would use sunscreen
(a) almost everyday
10) How do you react to sunscreen products advertised and available today
(a) with interest
(b) with disinterest
(c) with scant interest
How did you fare?
Score 5 for every (a) answer; Score 0 for every (b) answer; Score 2 for every (c) answer.
- 0 to 15 : Poor. Soak in more information on how the sun can damage your skin. Remember, your lack of information can lead to irreparable skin damage !
- 16 to 34 : Fair. The information is somewhat there, but you don`t seem to take it seriously !! Paying more attention can literally "save" your skin !!
- 35 to 50: Great! Yes, you can pat your back ! You are certainly sun - savvy ! Don`t forget to put into practice, all that you know. You deserve a place in the sun !!
Finally, some pointers, that throw more "light"...........
- Coloured hair is more likely to be affected by the rays of the sun.
- UVA - the long wave ultra violet rays that cause irreparable damage.
- UVB - the short wave rays that are more likely to tan than burn.
- Chronic damage is more likely before the age of 20, because most people don`t use sunscreen when young.
- Parts of the body that " stick out" like ears, lips and nose are more prone to skin cancer.