"I have known the pain of failure, frustration, disappointment, defeat because I have taken the chance on winning, succeeding, achieving.
It takes a lot of the first to get some of the second."
Natasha Jose Fowitz
The dictionary meaning of self-confidence is: "controlling, managing and understanding self " helping one deal, learn, know and master one`s self."As stated earlier, it is all about attitude:
- An attitude which allows you to have a positive yet realistic view of yourself and your situation.`I want to be loved and liked by everybody in the world` is unrealistic.
It is more about loving yourself than about the world loving you. Anyway, who is keeping count!!
- It is an attitude that allows you to trust your own abilities. To have a general sense of control in your life.
- To make you believe that, within reason, you will be able to do what you wish, plan, and expect to do. In other words, setting attainable goals. Wishing to climb Mount Everest with a wonky leg is an uphill task and doomed to disappointment. Pay heed to `within reason.`
- It is an attitude that says having self-confidence does not mean that you will be able to do everything. You need to have expectations that are realistic. That means `You can`t win all the time.` `Everything that you touch need not necessarily turn to gold.` Every time you speak, people need not stop everything and pay you their full and complete attention.
- It is an attitude that makes you wisely shrug your shoulders even when some of your expectations are not met: "O.K, I didn`t top the exams this time. No big deal. I will study harder and do better next time. After all, there is always tomorrow."
- It is an attitude that allows you to be positive and accept your failures as stepping-stones to success.
- An attitude that says: "If winter comes, can spring be far behind?"